Orange Glazed Pumpkin Cookies
Pumpkin, pumpkin, pumpkin! I struggled with a name for these “cookies”, since they are unnecessarily giant (edit: completely reasonably giant). They’re almost in a category with muffin tops or mini-cakes. The texture of these goodies is perfect: crisp, crunchy outside and moist, fluffy inside. The flavours here are best described as comforting. Orange, cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin and brown sugar all interact quite nicely together and make you feel warm and cozy. I made these cookies multiple times last fall- to share with friends, family, and co-workers- and each taste-tester gave rave reviews. The original recipe is from here, or you can check out my version below. I made a few slight changes to the cookie itself, and rather than using the plain sugar glaze shown on the original recipe, I decided that an orange flavoured glaze would be a bit more exciting. I also doubled the recipe when I made them, because the cookies are that good! Note that the recipe below is only for a single batch.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup canned 100% pumpkin puree
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line baking pan with tin foil, parchment paper, or lightly grease with butter.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ground cloves, and salt; set aside.
- In a larger bowl, cream together softened butter and sugar. When well combined, add in the pumpkin, egg, and vanilla. Beat together until all the ingredients are incorporated together.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients into the large bowl, mixing everything together as you go. When your dough is formed, spoon (large tablespoons) onto your baking pan. The cookies don’t spread out too much, so you can place the cookies relatively close together.
- 2 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 5 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tsp finely grated orange zest
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. If the mixture is too thick, add more orange juice. If the mixture is too thin, add more confectioner’s sugar.
- When cookies are done, remove from the oven. Using a knife, cut two small slits into each cookie and place them onto a cooling rack.
- When the cookies are cooled completely, use a spoon to drizzle the glaze onto each one- don’t use too much glaze or the cookie will be very sugary.
- Bon Appetit!