Goat Cheese, Herb & Honey Scones With Crushed Almonds
I’m all for the dessert variety of scones, with White Chocolate Raspberry being one of my favourites, but every so often a good savory scone really hits the spot. I recently had crostini with goat cheese, honey, and walnuts, and I’m pretty sure I died and went to heaven. Those yummy little toasts were the inspiration for this scone recipe. This recipe substitutes plain, low-fat yogurt for the traditional buttermilk, and the honey and goat cheese really complement each other. In reality… goat cheese just tastes amazing with anything. These are also incredibly easy and quick to make, so you can whip up a batch for breakfast. See below for the recipe and ingredients!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick) cut into pieces
- 1 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3/4 cup goat cheese (crumbled)
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds (crushed)
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and spices/herbs in a large mixing bowl.
- Add in sliced butter and combine until you get a coarse flour mixture. You can use your hands or save yourself from getting too messy by using a potato masher.
- Mix in yogurt , honey, goat cheese, and almonds. Knead into dough. If the dough is too sticky, add in a little extra flour here.
- Divide the dough into two portions, and flatten each out into 3/4 inch thick disks. Cut each portion into roughly 10 triangles, just like a pizza.
- Transfer triangles to a prepared baking sheet, and bake for about 10 minutes in the oven, or until golden brown and cooked through the centre.
- Enjoy warm with a bit of butter or margarine!