Savory Kiwi Bruschetta Baked on Rye with Honey, Cream Cheese, and Cracked Black Pepper
This little snack is a great accompaniment to your mid-morning or mid-afternoon tea. The warm spices are contrasted by a little pop of citrus from the kiwi, and the honey and cream cheese provide a soft, velvety base. I baked my bruschetta on some rye bread from the German Bakery in town and ate it on the patio with some honey-lemon tea, but this would also be nice on crostini breads served as an appetizer if you had company.
- 1 slice Rye bread
- 1-2 tablespoons cream cheese (depending on the size of your bread)
- 1 kiwi fruit peeled and chopped into small cubes
- 1/2 tsp honey
- a pinch each of nutmeg, ginger, cinnamon, mint, salt, and black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400F
- In the meantime, peel and cube your kiwi and mix it in a small bowl with nutmeg, ginger, cinnamon, and salt. I say a pinch because only a PINCH is needed for flavour.
- Toast your bread in the oven until crisp. Remove from the oven and spread cream cheese on the toast (nice and thick!)
- Drizzle your honey over the cream cheese and top with kiwi mixture. Sprinkle the pinch of mint and a little crack of black pepper on top.
- Turn the oven to broil and put your toast back into the oven for 3-5 minutes or until warmed through- you should notice the cream cheese cracking a little if it’s ready.